Designing a Mobile Interface for Bloomington Social Services
In 2019, I took part in the Bloomington Civic Hack. I was a part of a group of local designers, developers, and professionals in other fields tasked with providing a solution to a growing problem in Bloomington:
"Information on social services are hard to find."
Our goal was to take the existing and growing reservoir of social service resources, and craft them into something: Accessible on any device, easily navigable, searchable, shareable
We needed to create a web app that would allow social workers to upload and share information and a mobile side that those in need can use to access this information.
Since we had very little experience creating a product like this, we began the design process with user interviews. Speaking with local social workers we quickly discovered the obstacles we were going to need to overcome and what was needed for this product to be a success.
We did not expect to have a fully working web app within just a few weeks, we wanted to design a concept for a social services web app, that could show the potential and viability of this project.
Our goal in working with BMG Civic Hack and The City of Bloomington, was to take the existing and growing reservoir of social services information, and craft it into something:
Accessible means more than just mobile-friendly. It means clean HTML that allows the visually impaired to navigate using their screenreaders. It means printable webpages to allow those using a public computer to take their information on the go.
Navigable so that those who already know what they're looking for can find it right away.
Searchable suggest relevant services to those who might not already know the specific services provided.
Shareable make it easy to make a collection of services and share with someone in your life.
My role as the designer on this project was to design a landing page and mockup based on our initial user interviews to present at the Bloomington Combine Tech Conference.
Early userflow and wire-frame explorations
Based on our interviews we mocked up designs.
To make these designs a reality, we've started on a Laravel (PHP) OpenReferral Boilerplate that syncs with the City's Airtable, and pulls it into a database.
For next steps, using the synced data we want to create UIs based on our design and then begin a second round of discovery where we test it out with the people at the City.